The Casino and the echoes of a glorious past
A severe facade that hides an astonishing interior
Walking along the Lungomare Marconi, where Lido overlooks the Adriatic Sea, you will see numerous historic buildings that are now part of the urban and cultural fabric of the island. One of these is the former Casino, now used during the Venice Film Festival.
Built in 1938, this huge modernist-style building, with its facade in travertine stone, hides inner sumptuous furnishings, marbles, majolica, mirrors, and curtains, which in the past welcomed players to enjoy long nights of fun in its richly furnished rooms. The Palace was also connected to the Palazzo del Cinema and the Hotel Excelsior by an underground corridor that allowed guests to discreetly exit the Casino.
The building has no longer housed the Casino since the 1990s, when the one in Ca’ Noghera was built, and today it is open from late August to early September as an exhibition venue during the Film Festival, as well as being used as a congress center, together with the Palazzo del Cinema, after recent major renovations.